Wednesday, July 3, 2013

An Apple A Day

I have a bad habit of never wanting to throw away food I buy, even when it has passed the expiration date. One day I bought a bag of apples from Trader Joes (Am I the only person who thinks their produce is hit or miss?) and they were mealy in like, 2 days.

MEALY APPLES! The worst, right?

So, being torn between throwing them away and just eating them, I decided to instead make applesauce! And I've been making my own applesauce ever since. 

It's super easy to make, only takes 30 minutes total, and is WAY healthier than store bought applesauce with all their added crap. 

I'm not sure if anyone (who isn't an infant or elderly) is into applesauce, but here's the recipe anyway:

What you need:
4 apples
1 cup of water
1/2 a lemon
Cinnamon and agave (optional)

1. Peel apples, slice them, then chop them up into little pieces. 


2. Like so! Then put one cup of water in a pot, followed by the apples. Cover pot and cook apples on medium-low for 30 minutes (or until mushy)


3. Squeeze half a lemon (not shown in photo, everyone knows what a lemon looks like, right? If not, www.google.com) And, optional, add some agave and cinnamon for flavor!

4. Using the bottom of a glass, mash all the apples while still warm. Chill, and serve! Voila!


I mean, I'm no Julie or Julia, but this looks pretty great, doesn't it?? Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment