Tuesday, September 3, 2013

The "MODERN" Experience

So I've been crazy busy and MIA for a few weeks! To my 14 devoted readers, I am sorry.

And I am back!

I've had a lot of people ask me about the Modern Family experience and thought, well why don't I just share it via blog? (Mainly because I haven't been able to think of a good topic recently, it was this or how to make cake pops. But that post will happen soon enough.)

So, here I share, without giving too much away, the Modern Family experience.

Random Tuesday, two weeks ago, I'm driving to say goodbye to a dear friend who just booked a show and is moving to Chicago. I "don't make a complete stop" at a stop sign and of course, there's a cop lurking. And I get pulled over and get a ticket. So after cursing the skies, I proceed with my day as planned. Around 7pm that night, I'm on my way to class when I get an email for an audition for Modern Family. Ah! How my day has quickly turned around! I take my audition scene to class to work on it and then continue to prepare the next day as well.

The audition was Thursday morning at 11am at Fox studios and I was supposed to be on set of my short film at 12:30 (See: Work Begets Work) I get to the office and sit among the other actresses. They call me in to a BLINDING room! It was seriously so bright in there! There was a camera set up and a table with three people sitting behind it: The Emmy winning casting director of Modern Family, the director of this episode (5x Emmy nominee and director of 30 Rock) and the writer of this episode (former associate editor of the Onion and writer on Community). Pretty powerful people in that room!!!

Cue: Sara's sweaty palms

Jeff, the casting director, who is a lovely lovely human being (I adore him) introduced me to Beth and Megan and asked if I was ready. They turned the camera on and we did the scene. The whole thing MAYBE took 1 minute. It was over before it began. I honestly can't even tell you what I did because it was a blur. Beth, the director, said "That was great!" and they thanked me and that was it. I left, and the next girl came in.

I walked out and immediately decided I didn't get it. I thought I hadn't done anything particularly funny or that I was too young or too (insert any excuse here). But, I went on with my day because I had to be on set of the short film soon. Halfway through shooting, I got an email that I was one of the choices for the role!! EEP! Down to me and one other!! They just had to wait to hear the decision of the network (ABC) who had to watch our audition tapes.

So, that night, and the following day, I did everything in my power to stop thinking about it and I was preparing my "Oh I didn't get it" reaction,  when I got the call from my manager that I GOT IT!!!

So, I screamed and cried and immediately called my mother who had been waiting to hear as well. And then I listened to her cry and thank the Virgin Mary in Spanish for about 10 minutes.

From there, the wardrobe department called me and I went to a fitting appointment Monday to see what I was going to wear. And I was called at 6am on Tuesday to shoot.

I get to set at 6am. Of course I barely slept the night before. But I was wired anyway and got there a half hour early. I went into hair and makeup and an assistant brought me coffee and a yummy breakfast. The hair and makeup artists on this show are SO COOL!! They were a blast to hang out with. When I was all done I went to my trailer to change into my wardrobe and hang out until it was ready to shoot my scene. I know guys, I just said "my trailer." Hehehehehehhhehehe. So I went over my lines and had a mild panic attack that I'd forget all my lines and be a laughing stock and never get to work in this town again. Little overdramatic. Then, told myself to shut up and have fun.

Got to set and kind of took it all in. The cameras were all set up, the director and writer (who I auditioned in front of) came up to me and said how happy they were to work with me. To work with me?!!? OH MAN. I was so grateful to be working with such funny and powerful women!! I mean, hello! I was about to be directed by the same woman who directed Tina Fey countless times!! Pinch me! (Don't. I bruise easily.)

Then, Sofia came. Oh, did I mention that my scene is with none other than Sofia Vergara?! Yep. And let me break it to you, she's as gorgeous in person as she is on TV. She is a Glamazonian Goddess. And they brought little Aubrey, who plays Lily. Who is a fierce little ball of sass who nails her lines like a pro. We rehearsed a few times, then started shooting. And it was the best first experience I could have ever asked for.

So that's how I booked my first role on network television. On a show I absolutely have been obsessed with since I started watching season one back when I was still living in Austin.

The strange thing is, and I swear this is true, about a year ago I had a dream I was in a room with Sarah Hyland, who plays Haley on the show, and she said, "So, this is your first thing, huh? Cool." So I'm guessing I'm part-psychic. Probably not. But my dream did come true. 

Here are a couple of photos though that me extra happy and grateful.

Here's me before the audition when I was in the casting room.

This is my vision board I keep above my desk. On the bottom are all the funny women who inspire me and who I want to work with. Notice Sofia on the bottom left!

Here's my goal list for the 2nd half of this year. Book a role on on a comedy TV show. Modern Family is on the bottom right. CHECK THAT BABY OFF THE LIST!


Thanks to everyone who has been so encouraging and enthusiastic, I was really overwhelmed by all the love and support. I will keep you posted when the episode airs so you can watch!! I'm going to look like a solid 3.8 compared to Sofia who is definitely a 10, and I'll end up spending half my paycheck on that damn stop sign ticket, but I could care less. When I see my name in the end credits, I'm going to happy dance the night away!






6 comments:

  1. Congratulations Sara! I can't wait to see this episode!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeeaahhh! I knew it would happen sooner or later. Congrats, girl!! You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh Sara.... I'm so happy for you. And proud of you too for sticking with it and going for your dream. I can't wait to see your episode!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds AWESOME Sara! And i hope you let us know of the episode, I can't WAIT to see it :)

    ReplyDelete