Monday, July 2, 2012

The "Busy" Trap

This is a great article from the NY Times. I fall victim to this self-imposed trap, feeling like I need to fill my schedule with meaningless errands and forcing myself to do everything from classes to workshops to Q&As to writing this blog to feel a sense of productivity in my career. Very often, I'm exhausted from these "obligations" I "have" to complete, as if I am having to turn in these checklists at the end of each week just to receive a gold star for my achievements that keeps me going for the next week.

"Life is too short to be busy." - Not that I feel completely abandoning my routine is the alternative, but sometimes, even if it's just for one hour one time a week, do absolutely nothing! More importantly, ENJOY doing nothing.

You can read the article here: The "Busy" Trap


Stop and smell the roses, literally


3 comments:

  1. Girl, I know what you mean! It's like it is wired into our brains as Americans. We all need to slow down and enjoy the life we have been given. Thanks for the reminder!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree -- it does feel wired into our brains!! HATE THAT! I've been trying to take at least one day a week, sans phone or internet just for a few hours, to go on a bike ride or walk, or visit a museum or something. Even if it's walking to get ice cream! SOMETHING! A little bit helps recharge the batteries!

      Delete
  2. Nominated you for the liebster award - come by my blog and check it out =)

    http://lovalafashion.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/nominated-for-liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete